New rules are being hammered out for the storage, distribution and transportation of food. Many fleet owners that haul produce have been wondering how this affects them, as carriers. Right now everything is still being finalized but there is talk about carriers doing sanitary classes as well as keeping records about the transportation of the products. They will not tell us how we have to keep records but some of the following ways may be used:
- Data loggers, as drivers may need to prove a load maintained proper temperature through the whole shipment.
- Strip chart temperature records
- Reefer OEM microprocessor data recorders.
- GPS systems with temperature probes which would show a dot on a map with the temperature recorded.
- One-way telematics systems that connects to the reefer’s microprocessor.
- Two-way telematics systems that would allow fleet managers to control reefer operations remotely.