As a driver it is important to know how to handle many diverse driving circumstances and this time of year is one of them. We are starting to get strong storms, high winds and even tornados. High winds can be very dangerous to tractor/trailers, pushing you into another lane and even causing your trailer to tip. Good preventative measures can be taken to ensure this does not happen to you or minimize the damage that is caused.
- Watch the vehicle in front of you and if they swerve, hold on to the wheel tighter and be prepared to turn right.
- Correct your speed and be aware and give space to other vehicles.
- Know your surroundings and be prepared for gust of wind going from protected areas to unprotected.
- Watch for objects being blown into your path.
- If it starts getting to windy, find a place to pull off and shut it down.